tim d. smith, ph.d.
Hi! I'm Tim. 👋
Some things that I'm excited about include
- 🔬 cellular and molecular biology,
- 📊 data systems and analytics,
- ⬅️ progressive activism,
- 💸 community organization finance, and
- 🏔 bagging peaks.
I live in Vancouver, Canada, which stands on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territories of the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh, xʷməθkʷəy̓əm, and Sel̓íl̓witulh First Nations. I grew up outside Washington, DC; you may also know me from Boston or SoCal.
Some of my current roles are
- 🖥 senior software engineer, AbCellera
- 🇺🇸 treasurer, Democrats Abroad Canada
- 🏊 treasurer, English Bay Swim Club
Previous roles included data scientist and experimentation platform lead for the Firefox web browser, co-maintainer of the Homebrew package manager, and applications engineer at Boreal Genomics.
I trained in biomedical engineering, with an emphasis on the macrophage response to implanted biomaterials, with Dr. Wendy Liu at UC Irvine, and earned a bachelors degree in engineering from Olin College of Engineering.